Big Bronx Results:
Bryn Bennett placed 2nd in Program Oral Interp at this major national tournament! Congratulations!
Our first local tournaments of the year are coming up in the next two weeks. We encourage all team members to sign up for these – the earlier you start competing, the more practice you get, and the earlier you get feedback from judges. Sign up below for:
CFL #1 @ Union Catholic – 10/21
Phillipsburg – 10/28
FYI – for Phillipsburg on, our new policy for sign-ups will be one week ahead of the tournament. So, the sign-up deadline for Phillipsburg will be this Satuday, 10/21.
Welcome back to the school year! The coaches and student officers are excited to welcome everyone back to the competitive season with two upcoming kick-off meetings coming up soon. Both meetings will begin in room 164 after school.
- Tuesday, September 26 is our special meeting for all returning members. Any team member grades 10-12 who was on the team last year is invited to attend. We’ll be discussing the new season, giving out important information and schedules, setting goals for the year, and training to help welcome our new members at the next meeting
- Thursday, September 28 is our official season kick-off meeting for all new and returning members. We invite everyone to come and check out our team, meet the coaches and student officers, find out what speech and debate is and why it’s worth your time, and learn about our different events. Bring a friend or two, and enjoy our first meeting of the year!
Please also join our team mailing list if you are a new member. The link to the mailing list can be found here.
Congratulations to the following team members who competed at the Yale Invitational this weekend and advanced to elimination rounds!
- Lauren Spencer – Quarterfinalist, Dramatic Interpretation
- Kathryn Altman – Quarterfinalist, Humorous Interpretation
- Nicole Nissel & Briana Nissel – Semifinalists, Duo Interpretation
Any team member interested in signing up for the Yale Invitational (9/15-9/17) should sign up here. All new and returning team members are welcome to sign up, but since we only have so much bus space, veteran team members will receive preference over new ones if necessary. Sign up before 8/1 to ensure your best chance of registration!
Please congratulate our two students who competed this weekend at the NCFL Grand National Tournament in Louisville, KY, Claudia Pietrus (OO) and Caitlyn Dempsey (OI). Special congratulations to Caitlyn for breaking to octafinals in Oral Interpretation, placing in the top 50 nationally!
Congratulations to our new officers for the 2017-18 school year:
|| Bryn Bennett & Renee Shen
|Vice-President of Speech
|| Caitlyn Dempsey
|Vice-President of Debate
|| Brandon Luong
|Vice-President of Communications
|| Allie Wu
|Captain of Interpretation
|| Kathryn Altman
|Captain of LPPAC
|| Claudia Pietrus
|Captain of Public Forum
|| Julia Yan
|Captain of Lincoln Douglas
|| Simran Kakkar
Voting will close at 11:45am on Friday, April 7, with results to follow.
The election slate is posted here:
2017-18 Speech & Debate Election Slate
Please read each candidate’s statement before choosing which to vote for.
We are very pleased with the number of team members who decided to run for officer positions. However, due to the unexpected number of candidates, we will be reserving the candidates’ forum for executive positions (president, speech VP, debate VP, comms VP). The forum for all captain positions will take place online on the team Facebook page.
Notes about voting:
- Certain positions can only be voted on by team members of a certain constituency. For example, an interp team member can vote for president, speech VP, comms VP, and interp captain. They cannot vote for debate-specific positions.
- If a team member has competed in multiple events at least twice this year, they may vote in both constituencies.
- Finally, Congress team members may vote for all executive positions and LPPAC captain.
See you at the candidates’ forum, Thursday at lunch in B164.
Just a friendly reminder that we are still accepting submissions for officer positions. See below for more information, dates, deadlines, and what positions are available.
- Vice-President of Speech
- Vice-President of Debate
- Vice-President of Communications
- Captain of Interpretation
- NEW – Captain of Limited Prep, Public Address, and Congress (LPPAC)
- Captain of Lincoln Douglas Debate
- Captain of Public Forum Debate
Dates & Deadlines
- April 3 at 2:45pm – Deadline for submissions, including BOTH emailed statements and hard copies of officer agreements
- April 6 at 10:40am (lunch) – Candidates’ forum for questions
- April 6-7 – Online voting open until 11:45am 4/7 (link posted on main page)
- April 7 at noon – Results posted on main page
2017 Speech & Debate Elections Packet