Here are the results for our last regular tournament of the 2016-17 season!
New Jersey District Qualifying Tournament:
- Sam Halpern – Semifinalist in Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking
- Caitlyn Dempsey – Semifinalist in Program Oral Interpretation & Dramatic Interpretation
- Bryn Bennett – 2nd alternate in Humorous Interpretation
- Lauren Spencer – Qualifier in Dramatic Interpretation
- Shefali Das – 1st alternate in Original Oratory, qualifier in Informative Speaking
This means that we have FOUR students who have qualified in their events to a national championship tournament, and THREE who are alternates to those tournaments! Please congratulate the following students on their qualification, and wish them luck at the end of this school year:
2017 NCFL Grand Nationals (Louisville, KY):
- Caitlyn Dempsey (OI)
- Claudia Pietrus (OO)
- Jordan Pontelandolfo (1st alternate, OI)
2017 NSDA Nationals (Birmingham, AL):
- Shefali Das (INF & 1st alternate, OO)
- Lauren Spencer (DI)
- Bryn Bennett (2nd alternate, HI)
What an end to our season! Well done all.
First, we have our results from this weekend’s State Championships. We are so proud of all the hard work everyone on the team has put in over the year that has led to this point – students, parent judges, and coaches alike. Our individual successes and our sustained success as a program are based totally in all that you do.
- Shefali Das – state semifinalist in Original Oratory
- Caitlyn Dempsey – state semifinalist in Program Oral Interpretation
- Claudia Pietrus – state semifinalist in Impromptu Speaking
- Jess Wattman – state semifinalist in Oral Interpretation
- Lauren Spencer – 4th place Dramatic Interpretation
- Bryn Bennett – 5th place Humorous Interpretation & 3rd place Program Oral Interpretation
- Sam Halpern – STATE CHAMPION IN CONGRESSIONAL DEBATE
- Team Sweepstakes – 6th place, Speech
Massive thanks are in order for all that everyone has done to get us to this point. For all our members for whom this was their last tournament this year, well done and thank you!
Districts is this week! All students selected to attend Districts (at Summit HS) are expected to attend our meeting after school Tuesday for important information. Districts is a special tournament that determines who will represent New Jersey at NSDA Nationals in June, so there are particular rules and regulations about competition. It is very important that everyone be at the meeting on Tuesday.
Winter is not through with us, apparently, and as I write this Tuesday looks to be close to a sure bet for school cancellation. So if there is indeed a snow day, I would ask that everyone come in at lunch on Wednesday for a brief meeting on Districts instead. It will not last all of lunch, but if you want to bring your lunch and stay there, I suppose I will let you get away with that just this once. If Wednesday is somehow a snow day as well (not outside the realm of possibility, if my amateur meteorologist friends are correct), then our meeting will be at lunch on Thursday instead, but that will be cutting things verrry short.
Our last weekend before States and Districts was a busy one! Take a look below and congratulate the whole team and all these individuals on hard work well rewarded!
- Katherine Hu – 6th place Humorous Interpretation & Top Non-Advancing Novice, Original Oratory
- Aaron Alemi – 4th place Novice Lincoln Douglas
- Mallika Ravi & Braedyn Speight – 3rd place Duo Interpretation
- Jess Wattman – 2nd place Oral Interpretation
- Nicole Nissel – 3rd place Program Oral Interpretation & 2nd place Humorous Interpretation
- Shefali Das – 3rd place Original Oratory & 1st place Improvisational Acting
- Team Sweepstakes – 5th place
CFL #6 @ Union Catholic:
- Lara Heinlein & Tyler Harper – 6th place Duo Interpretation
- Claudia Pietrus – 4th place Original Oratory
- Jordan Pontelandolfo – 1st place Varsity Oral Interpretation
- Team Sweepstakes – 5th place
- League Sweepstakes – 5th place
Each year at our banquet (April 20, 2017; more information to come), our Boosters give two Senior Awards to our departing team members. To be considered for these awards, any interested senior should fill out the 2017 Boosters Senior Award Application by the deadline of April 1. Instructions are contained within the application. Good luck to all applicants!
Congratulations to our team on their success at the most recent tournaments. Please congratulate these team members if you see them!
District Congress @ Montville:
- Sam Halpern – 6th place Senate (4th alternate)
- Katherine Hu – Top Non-Advancing Novice, Humorous Interpretation
- Allie Wu & Paul Ward – 6th place Novice Public Forum
- Nicole Nissel – 5th place Program Oral Interpretation
- Renee Shen – 4th place Varsity Lincoln Douglas
- Shefali Das – 3rd place Oral Interpretation
- Jordan Pontelandolfo – 1st place Oral Interpretation
- Amy Pu – Triple-octafinalist, Varsity Lincoln Douglas
- Lauren Spencer – Octafinalist, Dramatic Interpretation
- Caitlyn Dempsey – Quarterfinalist, Program Oral Interpretation
- Bryn Bennett – Quarterfinalist, Humorous Interpretation & Semifinalist, Program Oral Interpretation
Montville Big Questions & World Schools Debate:
- Sam Halpern, Shefali Das, & Daniel Kim – 5th place World Schools Debate
CFL #5 @ Ridge:
- Tyler Harper & Lara Heinlein – 5th place Duo Interpretation
- Jaqueline Wu – 1st place Junior Varsity Extemporaneous Speaking
- Caitlyn Dempsey – 1st place Varsity Oral Interpretation
- Shefali Das – 1st place Original Oratory
35 team members went to Ridge this weekend for our largest local tournament and came away with some excellent results!
- Caitlyn Dempsey – Semifinalist, Oral Interpretation
- Jess Wattman – Semifinalist, Oral Interpretation
- Claudia Pietrus – Semifinalist, Original Oratory
- Shefali Das – Semifinalist, Radio Speaking & 3rd place Original Oratory
- Bryn Bennett – 4th place Program Oral Interpretation & 2nd place Humorous Interpretation
- Naomi Gonzalez – 2nd place Novice Extemporaneous Speaking
- Mallika Ravi – 1st place Novice Oral Interpretation
- Team Sweepstakes – 6th place
Our small contingent did fairly well at the inaugural Hunterdon Central Winter Invitational this weekend. See below:
- Katherine Hu – Top Non-Advancing Novice, Humorous Interpretaiton
- Shefali Das – 6th place Original Oratory
- Sam Halpern – 4th place Congress
- Nicole Nissel – 4th place Program Oral Interpretation
- Julian Yan & Brenna McConnell – 3rd place Novice Public Forum
- Jordan Pontelandolfo – 2nd place Dramatic Interpretation
- Bryn Bennett – 4th place Humorous Interpretation and 1st place Program Oral Interpretation
- Team Sweepstakes – 5th place
Also, the tournament at Freehold is this coming weekend!
LET’S PACK THE BUS.
Sign up here.
Next Saturday (1/7) kicks off the second half of our season at Hunterdon Central. This is a new NJSDL tournament that will offer ALL speech events and all levels of debate, and we want the tournament to stick around in the future, so let’s go out in force! It will also be the site of States this year, so it might be a good idea to get a feel for the campus, too. Sign up here.
We received word this afternoon that CFL #3 at Montville is cancelled, so there will be no tournament tomorrow (12/17). We will keep you updated if the tournament is rescheduled for another time. Enjoy the weekend, be safe, and we’ll see everyone for our holiday cookie exchange on Tuesday after-school.