Congratulations to all the students who placed at CFL #2 this Saturday:
||2nd place, Junior Varsity Extemp
||4th place, Varsity Oral Interpretation
||3rd place, Varsity Oral Interpretation
||1st place, Varsity Oral Interpretation
The team also received 4th place in team sweepstakes. Well done all!
Our trip to Princeton University for their tournament Dec 4-6 is fast approaching. Students who signed up to express interest in the trip should download and complete the packet for Princeton, found here. Hard copies are also available from Mr. Quinn in B164. The deadline for both the packet and payment is Tuesday, November 24. If you can no longer attend, please let Mr. Quinn or Ms. Poff know.
Information for judges and competitors for CFL #2 as of 11/12 at 5pm:
Ridge High School
268 S Finley Avenue
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
Call Time: 7:30am
Estimated Return: 6:30pm
Kathryn Altman DP
Bryn Bennett OInt
Kelyn Chen DP
Shefali Das OO
Caitlyn Dempsey OInt
James Domalewski LD
Jason Gu LD
Sam Halpern EXT
Stephen Hu EXT
Ashley Huang LD
Daniel Kim LD
Victoria Lofaro OO
Rachel Loia OInt
Nikhil Naik LD
Nicole Nissel DP
Kara Sevola OInt
Neha Sippy CONG
Helen Spyropoulos PF
Samantha Tassillo OInt
Abha Walter PF
Lauren Spencer DP
Jackie Lofaro (Speech)
Shriram Easwaran (V PF)
Pamela Bennett (Speech)
Linda Dempsey (Speech)
There are several local and national tournaments coming up before the holiday break that we would like to keep students appraised of. As always, sign-ups for all these tournaments can be found under the “Members” section of the website.
- Scarsdale Invitational, 11/13-14. LD/PF only. Events have gone to waitlists, but registration does not close until 11/4.
- CFL #2 @ Ridge, 11/14. All CFL events. Very few students have signed up so far for our next local tournament – get in early while the competition is easier and get some experience or points towards national qualification!
- Princeton Invitational, 12/4-6. All events. Though all events have gone to waitlists, we are still taking early interest requests. Join us for a national tournament at New Jersey’s own Princeton University. This figures to be the most inexpensive national tournament. If you are a parent interested in driving students and judging to help us keep costs down, please let boosters or coaches know.
- Ridge Debates, 12/11-12. Debate only. A very prestigious national debate tournament right in our backyard! Some of the best competition comes here to NJ for two days. Open to novices as well as an open debate pool. As of now, there are no waitlists.
- Summit, 12/12. All events except LD. A great holiday-themed speech and PF tournament.
- CFL #3 @ Montville, 12/19. All CFL events. We hope that all new and returning members will be able to compete by this tournament. We typically send a huge team to this tournament, and we’d like to keep up the tradition! This is the last local tournament for several weeks.
Congratulations to our members who competed at CFL #1 at Union Catholic on 10/24. Some results:
Bryn Bennett- 2nd place Varsity OI
Jordan Pontelandolfo – 4th place Varsity OI
Kara Sevola- 6th Place Varsity OI
Sabrina Hu- 3rd place JV Extemp
Stephen Hu- 5th place JV Extemp
Don’t forget to sign up for CFL #2 on 11/14 on the registration page!
For our RHS Tournament on Nov. 21, we are asking that parents sign up to volunteer for a variety of positions during the tournament. The slots are an hour each and you can sign up here:
**This spreadsheet can be edited, so make sure not to delete any data while signing up**
Two brief updates on upcoming tournaments:
- CFL #1 at Union Catholic is this coming Saturday! The deadline to sign up is this Tuesday at 5pm. This is a great early-season opportunity to earn points toward national qualification, experience some early competition, or shadow other students/judges. If you are available and ready to compete, we highly recommend you attend. Sign-ups for both competition and shadowing are located here.
- Our next national tournament is Princeton on Dec. 4-6. We would ask any student who is interested in attending to sign up here. This is a preliminary sign-up to gauge interest only – you are NOT locked-in if you sign up at this point. Registration for Princeton opens on Tuesday October 20; it is always preferable to sign up and then drop before the deadline than to sign up late and risk being waitlisted.
This year’s apparel sale has begun! We have two ways to purchase apparel this year.
Starting now, anyone can buy select items anytime throughout the year at our new online store, located here. We may add items as the year goes on, so make sure to check it out!
We are continuing our fall bulk order as well. The benefits of buying now on the bulk order are free shipping as well as the option to buy a customized team t-shirt with your name on the back. Please download the order form here.. Forms and checks for the bulk order are due by October 20. We hope that every team member will have at least one piece of apparel to wear at our home tournament on November 22; the bulk order will arrive in plenty of time for the tournament.
Seton Hall University is running a scholarship this year for students in speech called the “New Jersey Voice of Character” award. Two students will win an award including an engraved plaque, $500, and a $5000 scholarship to Seton Hall University.
- Open to graduating seniors of the class of 2016 with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Each high school may nominate up to two students who are active members of the forensics team
- Applicants must also demonstrate leadership and a commitment to their community
Interested students should contact Mr. Quinn for more information about applying. Applicants will submit a resume, letter of recommendation, and a 750 word essay about their experiences in speech. The deadline for submission to Mr. Quinn is Monday, October 19.
We have two upcoming team fundraisers for the fall:
- Gertrude Hawk Chocolate – our first chocolate sale begins Thursday September 24. There are two ways to participate. Students can bring a check for $48 per box made out to RHS Forensics Boosters Association to Mr. Quinn or Ms. Poff and get their box from B164. Parents can also purchase boxes for their children at our Parents’ Meeting on Monday September 28. All team members are required to sell at least one box, with additional requirements for officers and Harvard attendees. For more information, ask your VP or a coach.
- Suppliant Appeal – our besuited team members will be asking for donations at local businesses this October to support the team. Sign-ups, times, and locations are located here. We need as many team members as possible to fill these slots, especially those who are currently officers or wish to run for a position in the future.
Randolph Forensics traveled to Yale University for their annual invitational tournament this past weekend (9/18-20) and posted some impressive results. Congratulations to the following team members:
Harry Kern – Double-Octafinalist in Lincoln Douglas
Rachel Loia – Quarter-finalist in Oral Interpretation
Caitlyn Dempsey – Semi-finalist in Oral Interpretation
Lauren Spencer – Semi-finalist in Dramatic Interpretation
Kara Sevola – Semi-finalist in Program Oral Interpretation (a brand new event!)
Bryn Bennett – Semi-finalist in both Oral Interpretation AND Humorous Interpretation
Our first local tournament will be CFL #1 at Union Catholic on October 24. Don’t forget to sign up!