Are you a parent or team member interested in keeping up with what’s going on with the National Speech and Debate Association? Click here to join their student and/or family mailing lists to sign up.
Our annual season kick-off meeting will be held on Thursday, September 27 after school. It will begin in 164. All new and prospective members will learn about Randolph Speech & Debate, who we are, what we do, the benefits of joining and competing, and how you can be a part of our team. All returning members will meet to discuss the season ahead, plan and create goals, and will be available to help introduce our new members to the team. We hope to see you there!
Any returning members or prepared novices are encouraged to sign up for the Yale Invitational, September 14-16. It’s an excellent early-season tournament to get good feedback, but there’s limited space available. Team members attending Yale will also be required to attend two “preseason” meetings in September after school begins. No spots are guaranteed, but registration opens August 1, so to maximize your chances, sign up below ASAP!
Are you or your friends interested in speech and debate? Join next year’s officers in the STEM lab on Tuesday, June 5 at lunch for a no-obligation information session about the benefits of joining the team and what we do. Bring your friends, family members, total strangers – the more the merrier! Food will be provided!
If you are a student or parent who is not receiving team emails, please sign up for the mailing list here.
Welcome back to the school year! The coaches and student officers are excited to welcome everyone back to the competitive season with two upcoming kick-off meetings coming up soon. Both meetings will begin in room 164 after school.
- Tuesday, September 26 is our special meeting for all returning members. Any team member grades 10-12 who was on the team last year is invited to attend. We’ll be discussing the new season, giving out important information and schedules, setting goals for the year, and training to help welcome our new members at the next meeting
- Thursday, September 28 is our official season kick-off meeting for all new and returning members. We invite everyone to come and check out our team, meet the coaches and student officers, find out what speech and debate is and why it’s worth your time, and learn about our different events. Bring a friend or two, and enjoy our first meeting of the year!
Please also join our team mailing list if you are a new member. The link to the mailing list can be found here.
Congratulations to our new officers for the 2017-18 school year:
|Co-Presidents||Bryn Bennett & Renee Shen|
|Vice-President of Speech||Caitlyn Dempsey|
|Vice-President of Debate||Brandon Luong|
|Vice-President of Communications||Allie Wu|
|Captain of Interpretation||Kathryn Altman|
|Captain of LPPAC||Claudia Pietrus|
|Captain of Public Forum||Julia Yan|
|Captain of Lincoln Douglas||Simran Kakkar|
Voting will close at 11:45am on Friday, April 7, with results to follow.
The election slate is posted here:
Please read each candidate’s statement before choosing which to vote for.
We are very pleased with the number of team members who decided to run for officer positions. However, due to the unexpected number of candidates, we will be reserving the candidates’ forum for executive positions (president, speech VP, debate VP, comms VP). The forum for all captain positions will take place online on the team Facebook page.
Notes about voting:
- Certain positions can only be voted on by team members of a certain constituency. For example, an interp team member can vote for president, speech VP, comms VP, and interp captain. They cannot vote for debate-specific positions.
- If a team member has competed in multiple events at least twice this year, they may vote in both constituencies.
- Finally, Congress team members may vote for all executive positions and LPPAC captain.
See you at the candidates’ forum, Thursday at lunch in B164.
Just a friendly reminder that we are still accepting submissions for officer positions. See below for more information, dates, deadlines, and what positions are available.
- Vice-President of Speech
- Vice-President of Debate
- Vice-President of Communications
- Captain of Interpretation
- NEW – Captain of Limited Prep, Public Address, and Congress (LPPAC)
- Captain of Lincoln Douglas Debate
- Captain of Public Forum Debate
Dates & Deadlines
- April 3 at 2:45pm – Deadline for submissions, including BOTH emailed statements and hard copies of officer agreements
- April 6 at 10:40am (lunch) – Candidates’ forum for questions
- April 6-7 – Online voting open until 11:45am 4/7 (link posted on main page)
- April 7 at noon – Results posted on main page